The United States and coalition forces are likely to
increase air strikes against Islamic State (IS) targets in Iraq and
Syria in the coming weeks after a lull in September and October, the
head of U.S. Air Forces Central Command has said.
Lieutenant
General Charles Brown told reporters at the Dubai International Air
Chiefs Conference on Saturday that the reduction in air strikes was due
to weather and to a slowdown in activity on the ground and not due to
the start of Russian air strikes in the region. He said both government
forces and insurgents were increasing their ground movements, which
could create more opportunities for the U.S. and its allies to carry out
more air strikes against IS targets.
They mingle with civilians
“If
they’re not out and about, it’s harder to strike, particularly for an
adversary that may wrap themselves in the civilian population,” he said.
Lt
Gen Brown also rejected criticism that the U.S. was not using air
strikes as much or effectively as possible, saying coalition forces were
striving to avoid civilian casualties that could help recruitment for
the IS. He also noted that the sheer number of air strikes was less of
an indicator than the targets hit and the number of weapons used.
Air strikes in Iraq, Syria
The
U.S. and its allies targeted the IS in Iraq with 14 air strikes on
Thursday, and also hit the militant group with nine air strikes in
Syria, the military said on Friday.
Lt Gen Brown told
reporters that an agreement signed with Russia to avoid possible
mid-air collisions was working well, and no incidents had been reported.
“They don’t want a mid-air and neither do we,” he said.
He
said the agreement did not hinder U.S. forces from carrying out strikes
where needed. “We’ve said we’re going to fly where we need to get the
job done,” he said.
No comments:
Post a Comment